231-Hour Certificate Program
- At this time there is no governmental certification offered nor required for herbal consulting.
- To ensure a level of professional training in this field, Self-Heal School offers a certificate program.
- Eligibility for a Certificate of Completion from Self-Heal School is based upon completion of the following requirements:
Classroom Instruction (201 hours):
- Herbal Fundamentals
- Therapeutic Applications of Herb
- Practical Applications of Herbs
- Body System Therapeutics
- Herbal Preparations
- Herbs for Women’s Health
- Aromatherapy I and II
- Nutrition I and II
- Healing I, II, and III
Medicine Making Workshop (6 hours)
Plant Identification: (10 hours)
Five (2-hour) herb walks acquaint the student with local plants used as food and medicine.
Botanical Research: (10 hours)
Research of herbal references for submission of a paper outlining:
- Botanical names
- Growth characteristics
- Parts used
- Active principles
- Therapeutic applications
- History in myth and magic
- Personal observations
- Bibliography to include at least three references
Herbal Formulation: (6 hours)
Submission of a formula created by the student including a description of the action of each herb.
Tincture Making: (4 hours)
Submission of an extract of chosen herb or herbal formula in chosen menstruum, properly bottled and labeled with a short description of purpose.
Certificate Program Pricing
The current amount for our certificate programs is $2300.
If you pay for classes individually, it is $2600.
Training in Clinical Herbalism
The certificate program leads to an opportunity to participate in our Pre-Clinic and Student Clinic Training Programs.
Herbal Fundamentals 15-hours Course
Do you learn more from practical demos and seeing how herbal medicines are actually made?
In this interactive course, you’ll learn to use a variety of medicinal herbs to make herbal preparations.
- In our herb garden as well as the classroom and herbal apothecary, you’ll discover herbs found growing in San Diego and around the world.
- You’ll learn basic Western herb theory, simpling, medicinal plant identification and more.
- You will begin with a stroll around the school herb garden as we identify plants and speak of their uses in food and medicine.
- We’ll eat some and make tea with some.
You will also learn how to:
- Acquire high-quality herbs and store them
- Make medicinal teas:
- cold water infusions
- Extract herbs in:
- Powder herbs to take in capsules
- Extract herbs in oils to make:
- Bath and body oils
- Emulsions (lotions and creams)
- Use herbs externally:
- Access great online reference materials
- And much more in a casual and interactive environment
Practical Applications of Herbs 15-hour Course
Topics for this fun and informative course include:
- Herbs in medicine – a global overview
- Herbal first-aid
- Flower essences and radiasthesia (dousing)
- Combining herbs in strength (making formulas)
- Herbal cosmetics
- Herbal rejuvenation
- Active principles in medicinal plants:
- Essential oils
- How they interact in the body to balance functions and support structures:
- Stimulation Therapy
- Tranquilization Therapy
- Blood Purification Therapy
- Tonification Therapy
- Purgation Therapy
- Emetic Therapy
- Diuretic Therapy
- Diaphoretic Therapy
- The relationship of herbs to other holistic modalities in natural healing
This course focuses on in-depth natural herbal therapies with references to:
- How each system functions with a focus on:
- Herbal tonics
- Natural therapies to address strengthening and balancing
- Common complaints
- Complementary therapies such as:
- Flower essences
- We begin with the nervous system- herbal nervines, nervade cocktails and herbal footbaths, herbs and natural therapies for nerve structure and function.
- This course is very experiential.
- Some folks claim that they’ve never been so relaxed before.
- Next, we do the respiratory system, including herbal steams, teas, powders, and syrups.
- In the following classes, we cover musculo/skeletal, liver/kidney, immune, and digestive/circulatory.
Herbal Preparations 15-hour Course
This show and tell course includes:
- Delivery systems for herbal remedies
- Herbal Percolations
- Making boluses
- Making massage creams and balms
- Making electuaries and pills
- Making cough syrup
- Understanding dilutions and proportions
This course is designed to help women gain a deeper understanding of how to create and maintain lifelong health through deeper awareness of:
- Our own psyches and mind-body connections
- Our herbal allies and how to use them
- Foods and kitchen medicines
- What to do when we’re out of balance including specifics for easing symptoms of PMS and menopause
- Creating healthy pregnancies
- Creating healthy breasts, backs, and hearts
- Keeping our bones strong and healthy
- Working with cysts, fibroids, and infections
- Stress, depression and weight loss
- Having fun with aphrodisiacs
Aromatherapy I 15-hour Course
- Basic knowledge of the essentials of Aromatherapy
- Therapeutic applications in natural healing
- Includes hands-on exercises with many common and exotic oils
Note: There is a $20 materials fee for this course.
- Intro to advanced Aromatherapy
- aromachemistry and chemotypes
- hydrolates- the new aromatherapy.
- aromatherapy for body systems:
Note: There is a $20 materials fee for this course.
In this fun and informative course you’ll learn about:
- Basic elements of nutrition
- Importance of water in the diet
- Acid and alkaline forming foods
- Food combining
- Alternatives to milk and meat
- Enzyme nutrition
- Importance of obtaining organically produced food
- Cultured foods
- Wheat grass, cleansing diets, and fasting
- Colon health and probiotics
- Super foods
In this in-depth course you’ll learn about:
- Chemical composition of the body and of nutrients in food
- Energy yielding nutrients
- Determining protein-fat-carbohydrate balance
- Low-fat diets
- Staying away from cholesterol and fats
- Oil quality and preservation
- Trans fatty acids and hydrogenation
- Free radicals and antioxidants
- Diets and foods as medicine and tonics for particular health conditions
Hands-on Medicine-Making Workshop (6 hours)
- Using a scale
- Using an herb grinder
- Calculating proportional parts
- Making herb teas
- Making powder combinations
- Making herbal salve
- Making tinctures
- Taking home a medicine kit for home study
Field Identification (10 hours)
Identification of flora in the field with discussion of medicinal and edible applications.
Join us as we learn to work with the auric field to give energy healings that are safe, effective and powerful. Anyone can learn these simple techniques. No previous experience in energy work is necessary.
This class is a must for anyone who works with others, especially as a caregiver. Receive a healing each week in this fun and empowering class.
Most people can’t believe how good they feel.
In this course, you’ll learn advanced healing techniques and practice giving and receiving healings each week.
We’ll sharpen our intuitive skills by learning to read energy and see auras as well as learning to talk to and receive messages from our guides.
Prerequisite Healing I
Energy Healing III (15 hours)
Practice your energy healing skills while you learn to work with each chakra through specials exercises, crystals, colors, meditations, aromatherapy, visualization, and affirmations.
This is a very special teaching that takes you on a magical healing journey of your own self. Prerequisite Healing I and II.
Energy Healing IV (15 hours)
Journeys with the Goddess – Through guided meditations, learn and practice advanced energy healing techniques as you discover secrets about your true self.
Prerequisite Healing I
Meeting 10-5 the first Sunday of the month for six months, this committed group class encourages the energy healer to shine their light and work on themselves through deeper meditation and healing tools.
For the first half of each class, you will and give healings.
For the second half, you will give healings to clients.
Open to students who have completed Energy Healing I, II and III.
Call Jane for more information.
Meeting the 3rd Sunday of each month for seven months, this course is designed to provide the advanced herb student with a deeper knowledge of medicinal herbology, including advanced materia medica with an emphasis on “owning your own information” – therapeutic applications as well as plant spirit medicine.
There will be a focus on creating a structure in which we can practice becoming “Professional Herbalists”, learning skills in creating, taking and managing case histories, as well as formulating herbal protocols for healing.
Each class is designed to include a practicum in which we will be applying and practicing our herbal skills. Students will be expected to participate to participate in their own self-healing process, as well as receiving professional training and validation in becoming a professional herbalist. Students taking this course can look forward to a very magical and transformative seven months.
To be eligible for this course, you must have completed the 225-hour certificate program or equivalent or be concurrently enrolled.
Open to 15 students only, pre-registration is required.
Graduates will be eligible for Clinical Training.
Call Jane for more information.
Clinic Training (50 hours)
- Materia medica
- Herbal therapeutics
- Clinical protocols
- Health evaluations
- Medicine making
- Herbal formulating for specific health concerns
- Learn how practicing prosperous thinking will help you become more relaxed, feel more love and appreciation, create greater health, more abundance, serenity and peace of mind.
- Find out what your dreams are and find the power to make them come true.
- Learning and practicing the principles of prosperity in a supportive group can bring wonderful insights, welcomed changes and outright miracles into the lives of the participants, and has.
Practice with other like-minded participants the principles of prosperity to create more wealth and well-being.
- Each week we will deepen our understanding of “The Secret” with exercises and meditations that will unlock our clarity, vision, and understanding.
- We will learn to use the principles of prosperity.
- We will understand gratitude, trust, faith, love, and surrender.
- This will allow us to feel more peace and joy in our lives while helping us to create what we truly desire.
This class is open to people who have taken Prosperity I, or those who have some experience with prosperity teachings.
It is also open to those who have taken prosperity II, but who would like to refresh and learn more.
Review courses may be taken for half price.
We always have fun, and transforming with others is awesome.